Friday, April 16, 2010

As R was headed to work one particularly jumbled morning, his after smooch remark, with a hopeful smile, was "try to keep all the balls in the air..." I smiled and then started to panic.

(If I could juggle and had a picture of me doing it, I would post it here.)

It was a day with a long list and a particular order for checking the items off.

Do you know me? I keep lists so I don't forget what to do. I start one thing, do part of something else that catches my attention on the way, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, and oh yeah, that is what I started doing in the first place. Confusing enough? I know!

R's hopeful suggestion is still sitting here, in my mind even after several days of repeat, repeat, repeat.

I still think of myself as a beginner when it comes to doing what I do. What do I do? Good question. I wife, mother, sister, friend, etc... all verbs, not nouns in this sense. I have a few tried and true methods, but I am always eager for new techniques. I try to eliminate distractions and stick with the practiced routine so that the lives I lead and shuttle and share and feed and teach and encourage and scold and love will be in place. Still, sometimes I mess up big time. Sometimes, it all crashes to the ground. Sometimes, more often than I want. Then what? Pick them up and start again with one and add another and another. They will fall again. I will mess up again. Not because I want to, but because I am so just "simpley" me.

It's ok. I am completely fine with it. The ones I wife, mother, sister, friend, etc., are my favorites. They are forgiving, kind, even appreciative, sometimes. They are wonderful, fun, and, well, sigh..., so worth it.

3 comments:

Jenn C. said...

You mess up? You are always an example to me of someone who knows what is going on and how to handle any situation. I apprectiate you.

Kaylani said...

i don't buy it. you're super wife, mom, sister, friend.

paige said...

I came over to your blog from jen's blog to see the prom pictures of her son with your daughter (as she directed us to) and I read this post, too. I feel the exact same way about a list. I make lists of lists. I love the feeling of [finally] marking something off. I know the feeling, too, of starting something then something else, etc., until I make it back to the first thing I started.

Nice blog!